A careful balance of structure and freedom characterizes each day in the LTS Kindergarten – grade 5 program. The children benefit from individual opportunities to create and problem-solve with developmentally appropriate instruction and a supportive teaching staff. As academic demands increase, the continuous goal to instill in students the love of learning remains a focus.
Key elements of the elementary program include:
- Collaborative learning is encouraged among the disciplines as students rotate to different teachers: art, music, physical education, science, and MakerSpace/ technology
- Declamation starts in kindergarten – allowing students to begin to develop articulate public speaking skills at a young age
- A dedicated science lab houses a program designed to instill in students the belief that science is best learned through doing, meaning hands-on and minds-on experiences with natural and social phenomena to form a solid foundation of scientific literacy and a love of science
- Students have computer access early in their academic career at LTS and each student receives an iPad in 5th grade
- Introduced in the fall of 2011, Singapore math supports the school’s strong belief in hands-on learning and free and open inquiry
- Second grade introduces overnight Adventure Learning activities and students take ownership of their daily routines and homework
- Beginning in 5th grade students can compete competitively in Tahoe Basin sports
- LTS believes that a healthy respect for the world at large fosters academic success, social excellence, and innovation. A socially grounded education inspires self- motivation and an unparalleled hunger for learning. This philosophy allows teachers to design, advise, and facilitate core curriculum, all the while developing the unique gift each child possesses.